Trade Show Backdrops
What are the main types of trade show backdrops?
Trade show backdrops are designed to help exhibitors promote their brands and products. There are 1000's of different styles and configurations, but they can be sorted into some basic groups, to help exhibitors more easily filter out the type of backdrop display that best meets their own specific requirements.
One way to group trade show backdrops is to look at how they are built. All backdrops include a frame, so that they can hold and display graphics so visitors can see them. The backdrops frames are built in several standardized ways:
- Pop up displays use an accordion frame that expands and contracts. Graphics are normally fabric, and attach by hooks, velcro, silicone beading, magnetic strips, etc.
- Rigid extrusion frames (sometimes called hybrid displays) are another way to build backdrops for trade shows. These assemble in different ways, some needing tools, some using clever clips, hooks, knobs, etc., so that you don't need to find a missing tool. Graphics can be rigid laminates or stretch fabric, similar to the popup displays.
- Panel booths normally use rigid frames, and either rigid or fabric graphics, and often are assembled in pre-made panels.
- Rigid tube frames, normally have bungee cords running through them to keep similar pieces (each side, the top, and the bottom) grouped together, and these sections slip together and lock in place with clips. Graphics are normally a "pillow case" style, that slips over the tube formed backdrop frame, and then pulls tight and zips shut to maintain tension.
- Truss trade show display systems are made with steel or aluminum, sometimes composites. Graphics can be rigid or fabric, attached in all of the ways mentioned above. Truss backdrops have a unique shape, and are almost always heavier than the other choices, but come with some benefits too. They are usually more structurally strong, so they can hold heavier products. They look strong too, which can be a potent marketing tool.
There are a couple of ways to avoid frames and still create a trade show backdrop. One way is to use 3 or 4 retractable banner stands, placed side by side, to create a banner stand backdrop wall. This allows the exhibitor setup and take-down process to be very simple and quick. Depending on the type of show and booth size, this can be a quick and inexpensive way to get started in trade show marketing.
Another way is to take advantage of the "pipe and drape" curtains that most trade shows use to define and separate the different booth spaces. Instead of bringing a complete trade show backdrop, an exhibitor can simply bring a banner designed to attach to the show's pipe frame, and cover the show's black or blue curtain drape with a full color graphic. Again, this method can be a great entry method for new exhibitors, allowing them to try out trade show marketing without a much larger investment. (Another good entry method is to rent a display for your first couple of shows, while you work to define and create your trade show marketing strategy.)
What are Tension Fabric Displays, anyways?
The latest tension fabric display frames combine the best features of the other methods of trade show booth construction, using light weight metal frames (poles or extrusions) to create the frame for the tension fabric displays, and specialized dye sub printed stretchy fabric for the graphic panels.
The graphic for these displays is made with “tension fabric”, called that because it is slightly stretchy and is pulled tight when attached, to help eliminate wrinkles. Tension fabric graphics are lightweight and fold up compactly to ship, and are normally a single layer of fabric.
Tension fabric graphics are attached to the frame in one of 3 main methods:
- With a hook and loop strip (Velcro) sewn onto the back of the fabric graphic, and a matching strip of velcro attached to the frame.
- Using silicone edges that are sewn onto the edge of the fabric, and pushed into a groove on the seg tension fabric frame (SEG).
- Tension fabric graphics can also use a “pillow case” design, which is literally shaped like a pillow case, and slipped over the frame, pulled tight and zipped shut.
Tension fabric displays are smaller and more lightweight than traditional rigid graphics. Booths constructed with tension fabric graphics can tower up and take command of the exhibition hall.
Many tension fabric displays are modular, meaning the trade show backdrop sections can be combined to create larger or smaller (10x10 -> 10 x 20, 10x30, island shapes, etc) exhibits as needed.
Tension fabric graphics are best printed with a process called dye-sublimation, which transfers very sharp, brilliant digital color images onto the fabric which do not run or smear. This process creates a striking effect that is very appealing and eye-catching. Dye sub printed tension fabric graphics can be machine washed in case they are soiled.
Tension Fabric Headaches? No Way!
CAN TENSION RELIEVE STRESS? Yes, when it's tension fabric we're talking about. This kind of "tension" refers to the stretchy fabric that's become popular in trade show displays. Tension fabric printing is like a miracle cure when it comes to a unique, effective and stress-free trade show backdrop. No other exhibition solution is as lightweight, easily assembled, low in cost or quickly updated. On top of all these innovative qualities, tension fabric displays offer a sleek, contemporary trade show backdrop look that attract the right customers to your company's trade show booth.
TENSION FABRIC HEADACHES? No way! The stretchy tension fabric and light-as-a-feather aluminum design equals no-sweat transportation in and out of trade show venues. These designs are also easy to set up and simple to store between shows. Before the trade show opens, simply expand the lightweight, anodized aluminum pop-up frame. Suddenly tension fabric graphics attached with Velcro® or SEG (silicone edge graphics) fasteners become the star of the show. Then the collapsible aluminum frame allows your graphics to stay attached when the show is over.
PICKY ABOUT PRINTING? Not a problem! Tension fabric takes the dye sublimation process beautifully, especially for printing lifelike photographs. And ink jet printing on tension fabric produces sharp, stunning trade show backdrop graphics equally as well.
CROTCHETY ABOUT CREATIVITY? Don't despair! There's a tension fabric size and shape for every need from banners to entire booths and everything in between! With customizable, cost-effective and lightweight framing, the sky's the limit--or at least the ceiling of your next trade show. See design dreams come alive in creative, free-form shapes, soaring, three-dimensional structures and ceiling-hung signs, all designed to enhance your display's visibility.
WORRIED ABOUT WRINKLES? No worries! The unique composition of tension fabric is wrinkle-resistant, so your display always looks fresh and new. This sturdy, machine-washable fabric is also fade-, water- and fire-resistant, able to stand up to years of display use. So show-off your company inside or outside...whatever the weather!
STRESSED OUT ABOUT STANDING OUT? Not any more! Flowing, foldable and 3-dimensional fabric tension displays offer more versatility than other one-dimensional display products such as laminated panels. And there's a wide selection of colors, textures and opacities available for our tension fabric displays. Combined with direct or back lighting, company graphics come alive and garner eye-catching attention!
Tension fabric printed designs for your company's trade show booth can make your next trade show TENSION-FREE! That durable, easy care, stretchy fabric in combination with the lightweight aluminum frame offers superior portability, affordability, creativity and visibility, attracting more customers to your display stand. Tension fabric graphics are not just great as a trade show backdrop - they are also used for corporate lobbies, museums, and shopping malls - anywhere you need to impress clients with a high quality, great looking graphic!
Benefits of Using Tension Fabric as a Trade Show Backdrop:
- Ease of portability
- Ease of assembly
- Allows for creativity
- Offers versatility
- Limitless design possibilities
- Highly customizable
- Variety of shapes, sizes and colors
- High visibility
- Ability to display photographs, 3D visual effects, graphics, and branding
- Extreme durability
- Eco-friendly and recyclable
- Simple to clean (machine washable!)
These benefits are the reasons why more and more trade show exhibitors use hybrid seg tension fabric displays as their trade show backdrop. Tension fabric graphics can also be seen in trade shows as hanging signs in towers, backdrops, wings and conference areas.
- Tension fabrics are quite practical. They provide easy transporting and storage.
- Normally, no tools are needed to assemble or dismantle these trade show booths.
- They create fresh, up-to-date trade show graphics that are eye-catching and easily updated.
- They also give the exhibition stand a more contemporary look and feel by adding movement, elegance, and dimension, especially when used with functional trade show lighting.
The advantages to fabric graphics are also easy to see from a price perspective: they are inexpensive, fast to produce, incredibly simple (light weight and foldable) to transport, environmentally friendly, and can be printed to look like virtually anything. In fact, you can often use cloth to “fake” other materials, in situations where people won’t be looking too hard. Consider a cloth ceiling or a brick wall! Also, eco-friendly cloth fabrics are now available, which is great for creating low-impact fabric trade show displays that promote minimalism and accommodation in materials usage.
Trade Show Displays with Tension Fabric Graphics
We place fabric graphics on our trade show backdrop in three primary ways; on seg tension fabric frames made from lightweight aluminum extrusions, attached with either Velcro or silicon edged beads, or onto aluminum tube frames with a pillow case graphics slipped and zipped tight.
Popular pillow case or tube form displays include our Waveline displays, as well as a variety of tension fabric structures, including fabric towers, arches, and rooms. The aluminum tube displays assemble quickly and easily, just slipping together and snapping into place. The pillow case graphics are easy to handle, slip onto the frame and zip them up to finish the assembly.
The aluminum extrusion frames are a bit more complicated to assemble - but not too much at all. Most of our hybrid exhibit booths and frames assemble with either a hex key lock, or a hand turned knob, that locks the frame pieces together. Fabric graphics attach with either Velcro or with silicon edges. Popular hybrid fabric trade show displays include the classic Magellan, Sacagawea, Segue, and Perfect 10 designs - all of these exhibit frames come with lifetime hardware warranties and dynamic high resolution dye sub printed tension fabric graphics.
All styles of tension fabric graphics are easy to back-light, and we offer backlit versions of most of them - just ask for details. Worth noting; some of the popup displays - the Burst and the Xpressions - also use tension fabric graphics - and can be backlit - so if you're looking for tension fabric graphics, with or without backlighting, don't forget to check out some tension fabric pop up display booths too!